I usually sit down on a Friday afternoon after work and have a good think about what I’ve done that week to try and be more frugal and thrifty that’s interesting enough to be included in that week’s Five Frugal Things post.
I didn’t get chance last night though as I was too busy doing number 1 on my list, so I’m a day late but here’s my five frugal things for this week….
1) I got a new settee which is usually not very frugal but this one was given to me by my Dad as he bought it for himself not long ago and has now decided that it’s too big for his Living Room. It’s immaculate and even has a cuddle chair so I’m over the moon with it, especially as my old faithful corner suite had certainly seen better days. I was planning to give mine away as I didn’t think anyone would buy it but someone suggested that I pop it on our local Facebook selling site, listing all the bits that were wrong with it and just say open to offers. I did this and was a bit surprised that so many people were interested – I sold it today for £50 and it was collected by it’s happy new owners an hour before my Dad arrived with the new one! I’ll show you a pic next week as I’m popping out to buy some new cushions and throws with the unexpected money soon!
2) Paperchase is a shop that I should avoid because I always fall in love with something in there and this week’s visit was no exception as I spotted a gorgeous notebook with a shiny unicorn print on the cover. I love notebooks and this one would have been a perfect addition to my collection but at £8 I (reluctantly) put it back. Miss Frugal then spotted that they did a wrapping paper in the same print for £1.25 and rather cleverly suggested that I buy the paper and cover my own notebook! How clever is she?
3) I bought a lovely gammon joint for a meal this week and I bought it a little bit bigger than normal deliberately so we’d have more leftovers as I wanted to see how far I could stretch them. I’m pleased I did because we all had gammon and mash with veg for tea one night, then sliced gammon sandwiches for packed lunches the next day and we wrapped it up with a gammon risotto for tea (Master Frugal had a gammon and cheese omelette).
4) I downloaded the Aldi app which I didn’t even know existed until one of you lovely lot told me about it after my super six post a few weeks ago so I can now see exactly what fruit and veg are on offer before I go shopping as well as find out in advance about the special buys.
Here’s this week’s if you’re interested:
5) Master Frugal needed some new football boots (the one with studs) for the school football team but I didn’t want to pay much as he’ll only wear them a few times I would imagine as it’s coming up to the Winter and he has his Astroturf ones for indoors. The problem is that he hated all the cheap ones and I hated the price of all the nice ones. We ended up driving half an up the road to a discount outlet where there’s an Adidas shop and managed to pick up a pair or Adidas Predators for £15 – even including the extra petrol I still class that as a win!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.