1) Remember a couple of week’s ago, I saved money by spending some vouchers I had on something practical rather than the expensive pair of sunglasses that I had my eye on? I regretted my decision as soon as I pressed buy on the grown up purchases but the cost of the Ray Bans I was lusting after was way too high for me for something I wouldn’t get that much use out of. But now, fast forward two weeks and look what I have in my hand….
Now the man who sold me them in Cyprus assured me that they were original and promised me on his life that they weren’t fake but I have a sneaking suspicion that the 6 Euros I paid for them may mean that they are indeed a copy. 😉 Aside from that, they’re actually really good quality and the pair I chose are actually a pretty good replica of the pair I was looking at online.
2) I wanted to make some cakes this week but I had no butter in the house (that’s what you get for leaving your husband at home in charge of the shopping while you go on holiday) so I used a substitution that I’d read about online. I used apple sauce instead of butter and the result wasn’t too bad – definitely better than no cake at all. 😉 I’ll not share a photo with you just yet as I’m going to make some more tomorrow and write about some other frugal food substitutions over the weekend.
3) We flew with Tui on holiday last week and I was a little shocked at the prices (and the quality) of the food onboard when we flew out so on the way home, we made ourself a cheeky little packed lunch from the hotel lunch buffet to take with us to eat on the plane.
4) We didn’t take much money on holiday with us staying all inclusive but what we did take, we split between the five days we were away, putting extra away for the day we knew we were going into Ayia Napa. It meant that we were able to have fun every day wandering around the shops and stopping in various cafes and bars to relax in the shade and that we didn’t have to worry about money while we were there which was lovely.
5) Oh, and to show you that being frugal doesn’t always pay off, here’s a frugal moment that didn’t quite work out as I’d planned….
While we were away, we fancied a little trip out on a boat but they were all quite expensive. We found one which was a good bit cheaper so we went for that thinking we had a bargain but it wasn’t awesome at all and the boat, which was a bit older and scruffier than the others, wasn’t as comfortable as I would have liked and the submarine part was hot, stuffy and very claustrophobic. Also, the amazing show of feeding the fish we were promised was just the captain throwing a handful of fish food over the side of the boat and the opportunity for swimming was by some very jagged looking rocks so we all stayed put.
We kept sailing past other similar trips and they looked like they were having so much more fun and not just sat wondering how long it would be before we got back to the harbour. Once we were off, we laughed about it and it’s one of our funniest holiday stories now but that hour and a half felt like forever!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our five frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peek….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio