1) I’ve finally mastered the art of remembering to take my own bags to the shop with me! I know, it’s not exactly difficult but I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve forgotten and ended up either buying a bag or struggling to the car with a handful of things. I think I’ve managed three weeks of remembering now so I thought I’d share it with you today. I will say that the thing that finally did it for me was buying one of those fold into itself shopper bags which I keep in my handbag now. As soon as I unpack it, I fold it up and put it back in there so I always have it with me.
2) Last week we had one of those days where we all felt very meh. It was cold, raining and dark outside and inside we were all a bit sniffly and a lot tired as someone kept waking us up coughing all night (thanks Mr F). I made macaroni cheese for tea as that’s the best comfort food I know and while I was making that, I also made a black cherry upside down cake which turned out to be a perfect comfort food pudding!
It might not look much but it tasted gorgeous and took no time at all to make as well as being super cheap. I’m thinking about blogging how I made it but because of my meh mood, I didn’t really get good photos to share with you.
3) The shower in our en-suite has been out of action for ages thanks to the sealant around the bottom going. A plumber who came to do another bigger job for us said it was going to be £80+ to redo it so we just left it until we had nothing better to spend £80 on (like that will ever happen). This week we popped to B&Q and bought everything we needed to reseal that and the bath as well for less than £20 and a day later the shower was usable again!
It’s not pretty but it does the job for 75% less than we were quoted!
4) I’ve started wrapping the kids presents now and as I always do, I’ve bought a couple of cheap rolls of wrapping paper and will wrap all of Miss Frugal’s presents in one pattern and Master Frugal’s in another. No gift tags needed as they know that everything in that style will be theirs. The supermarkets do some great cheap wrapping paper where you get between 8m and 10m for a pound and it does the job as well as the more expensive paper (which I tend to buy in the sales for gifts for people outside of us.
5) I love scented candles at this time of year and every year around now I treat myself to one of those nice big Yankee Candle jars from the Yankee Candle outlet in York. With me not being well, we haven’t managed a trip to York recently so when Miss Frugal sent me a text with a picture of some very pretty looking candles that she’s spotted in Primark for just £3 I asked her to buy me a couple. I wasn’t expecting much to be honest but they’re amazing!
I have the sugared almonds one on my bedroom windowsill as I seem to spend so much time in there lately and it smells so lovely – strong but not overpowering if you know what I mean. Miss Frugal bought herself the strawberry and peach one and that’s really nice as well. I genuinely can’t tell the difference between the quality of this and the quality of a Yankee Candle so I think I’ll stick to these in future!
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week Linky rules
We’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
We’re looking forward to seeing all your lovely thrifty posts!
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio