Sunday – Turkey meatballs with spaghetti.
Monday – Macaroni Cheese
Tuesday – Quick tea for the kids as I’m off out I think so they’ll be having Fishfingers, chips and minty mushy peas.
Wednesday – Homemade chilli with sweet potato wedges.
Thursday – Spicy sausage and bean casserole.
Friday – Picnic party tea I think as the kids were gutted that they were too poorly to go to Maxi’s birthday bowling night.
This weeks family friendly frugal meal is turkey meatballs with tomato sauce and pasta. Turkey doesn’t usually feature on our menu plans as it’s something I always think of as being just for Christmas but when the people from Lean on Turkey asked if they could buy us some turkey to cook for our tea, we decided to try it out and made turkey and apple meatballs with homemade tomato sauce and pasta.
For the meatballs:
500g turkey mince – ours cost £2.09 and was more than enough for this.
1/2 finely chopped onion.
1 1/2 apples grated.
- Lightly saute the onion and then add to a mixing bowl with the apple, mince and herbs.
- Mix it all together and then form into small meatball sized meatballs.
- I cooked mine in my Airfryer but you can shallow fry or oven bake them. You can even just brown them and simmer them in the tomato sauce for ten minutes.
- Saute the onion and the crushed garlic.
- Add the passata, sugar, basil and chilli (if you’re using it) to the pan and simmer for ten minutes.
Lean on Turkey is all about inspiring families to use more fresh turkey in their weekly meals. I’m really surprised at at how good value the turkey was and how easy it was too cook. It’s also high in protein, low in saturated fat and a good source of natural vitamins and minerals. For more fresh turkey recipes visit www.leanonturkey.co.uk
This post is in association with Lean on Turkey