One meal that I can always count on to please everyone in the family is good old macaroni cheese and seeing as I’ve just made a huge batch right now, I thought I’d share my recipe with you….
How to make Macaroni Cheese
300g (ish) Macaroni
50g Plain flour
300g Grated Cheese
- Cook the macaroni (or any other pasta – we like spaghetti sometimes) according to the instructions on the pack
- While the pasta’s cooking, melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir for a few seconds until it’s all combines and looks like a gooey ball of mess – this is actually a roux, commonly used in sauces that need thickening up like this one.
- Gradually pour in the milk and stir it frequently until your sauce starts to bubble and thicken. I use a whisk when I first start adding the milk as it’s easier to whisk the milk into the roux at this stage but once all of the milk has been added I switch to my wooden spoon.
- When the white sauce has thickened add most of the cheese to the pan (save a bit for the topping though) and stir until it’s all melted in.
- Add the drained, cooked pasta to the sauce and stir together before pouring it all into an ovenproof dish and topping it with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the top goes brown and bubbly.
Honestly, macaroni cheese is a real comfort meal and it tastes delicious as it is or with a few added extras – we often stir in cooked brocolli, bacon or ham into the mix before baking it in the oven to add a bit of variation. It’s also great in small portions as a side dish instead of the usual chips or potatoes.
Oh and if you want to save on pots, it tastes just as nice without you popping it in the oven, I often serve it straight from the pan if it’s my turn to wash up. 😉
If you liked this recipe for my homemade macaroni cheese you can save it to your own recipe box if you use Yummly – just click on the YUM icon at the bottom of this post.
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.