Slimming World Chicken Shawarma is going to be your new favourite fakeaway whether you’re on Slimming World or you’re just looking for a budget-friendly delicious alternative to a takeaway. My family enjoy it more than they like our fakeaway doner kebab!
A little while ago, I bought a ready mixed spice blend for chicken shawarma which gave our chicken the most amazing flavour but when we ran out, I decided that I’d have a go at making my own. It worked out pretty good if I do say so myself and now that I’ve made it a couple of times, I thought it was time to share my secret mix with you. 😉
How to make Homemade Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend
2 tbsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp Ground All Spice
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Cumin
½ tsp Ground Ginger
½ tsp Chilli Powder
- To make the Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend you basically just need to blend your spices together. I just put them in a little bowl and give them all a good stir. I also generally scale up the quantities and make a bigger batch which I actually store in the tub I bought the original Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend in. 😉
This blend is amazing for making Chicken Shawarma but is also brilliant to spice up things like burgers and meatballs!
How to make Chicken Shawarma using your homemade Spice Blend
500g chicken – I use chicken fillets or chicken thighs
170g tub Greek yoghurt (fat-free if you’re using this recipe on Slimming World)
- Pop the chicken in a freezer bag or a Tupperware tub.
- Mix the Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend into the yoghurt and make sure it’s thoroughly combined to make a marinade.
- Spoon the marinade over the chicken and make sure that all the pieces of chicken are coated.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge for as long as you can – I try and leave it in for 24 hours so the marinade totally soaks into the chicken.
- How you cook your chicken is up to you, I’ve popped it in the Airfryer before and also in the oven where I just cook it until it’s cooked through but my favourite method of cooking it by far is using the Instant Pot. I use the little rack that you get with it and add in a cup of water before laying the chicken pieces on the rack. I cook it on the pressure cook function for six minutes which is the perfect time to get the most amazing tender chicken. You can actually pull it apart with two forks when it’s done so it’s perfect to serve as a kebab in wraps of pitta breads.
- We serve ours with a little houmous, some lettuce, crumbled feta cheese and some garlic sauce! Honestly, it might not look like much but it tastes AMAZING!
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. You can find out more about me here.
Pin my Homemade Chicken Shawarma Spice Blend for later: