This year, for the first year ever, we’re having a few fireworks at home rather than going to a public firework display and I’m actually quite excited. A few friends are coming round tonight with their kids and I’m hoping the rain stays away so we can have a good night.
Seeing as there will be 12 of us tonight, I’m making mini double chocolate chip cupcakes rather than full size ones so that I can do lots of different toppings and everyone can try a few and still have space left for the chilli I have cooking away in the slow cooker right now.
The recipe for the cakes themselves is super easy and one that I know off by heart….
Mini double chocolate chip cupcakes
150g butter or margarine
125g self raising flour
35g cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of milk
A few drops of vanilla essence
1 packet of chocolate chips
- Creaming the sugar and the butter together – I use an electric whisk for this but you can do just as easily the old fashioned way.
- Beat the eggs, milk and vanilla essence into the mix
- Gently fold in the flour and the cocoa.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into your cake cases – I’m using smaller ones today so I baked them in an oven heat to around 180 c for about 12 minutes. Your cakes will take longer if you’re making larger ones.
Popping candy topping
For these ones, I just melted some chocolate and dolloped a little on each cake. Then I added as much popping candy as I could squeeze on the top.
Chocolate orange Aero topping
Another easy peasy but extra tasty one – melt an Aero chocolate orange (or the balls) and and add a dollop to the top of each cake. Add a few sprinkles and you’re good to go!
I also made some with chocolate butter cream frosting piped on them and when they’re all arranged on my little Halloween cupcake stand, I think they look fab!
What do you think?
I’m linking this up with Foodie Foto Friday over at the Crazy Kitchen 😉