After Eights (along with Bailres, Advocaat and Chocolate Oranges) are things that I only really buy at Christmas so when I was trying to think of what I would use to make some Christmassy cupcakes, I decided to go with After Eight themed cakes.
I bought the supermarket’s own make though as I didn’t know how they’d turn out and I would have been gutted if they’d turned out wrong and I’d wasted a whole pack of After Eights! They were only 99p and to be honest they tasted exactly the same as the usual ones so I’ll be buying them in future anyway!
150g butter or margarine
125g self raising flour
35g cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of milk
A few drops of vanilla essence
1 200g box of After Eight Mints – chopped up into little pieces. Leave about 4 for decorating
- Cream the sugar and the butter together.
- Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla essence.
- Gently fold in the flour and the cocoa.
- Add the After Eight pieces.
- Spoon into cake cases and bake them in an oven heat to around 180 c for about 1 5 – 18 minutes.
I iced them with my super amazing chocolate buttercream icing and added a quarter of an After Eight mint to each one to decorate.