Totally unrelated to the Great British Bake Off, which returned to TV this week, Miss Frugal challenged me to a bit of a bake of of our own when she said that the cookies she made at her friends using a Betty Crocker packet mix were better than my homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe!
I couldn’t have her thinking that a packet mix was better than cooking something from scratch could I?
So while she spent about two minutes making up the packet mix we bought (for the purposes of the experiment ha ha), I dug out my trusty homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe and made my own version.
Homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe:
125g light brown soft sugar
125g butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, beaten
225g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g chocolate chips (any type or a mix is fine – I use milk chocolate)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pre-heat the oven to around 180 c
- Cream together the sugars and the butter until they’re light and creamy looking. I use an electric mixer because I’m lazy.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and give it a quick beat together.
- Fold in the flour and the baking powder.
- Stir through the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mix into blobs on your baking tray making sure you space them reasonably far apart as the mixture does spread.
- Pop in the oven for about 8 minutes.
Now, I don’t want to show off at all but I’m pretty sure that my recipe won over the Betty Crocker cookies which, aside from the fact you only get six out of the mix, look blooming awful….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.