Did you know biscuits that hang on your mug were a thing? Well, they are and even better than that, they’re perfect to make for Valentines Day.
Sometime last year, we went to a garden centre and had a sneaky hot chocolate in the cafe there and when it was served, it had a super cute little biscuit hanging on the side of the mug. I didn’t even realise that biscuits that hang on your mug were even a thing but after having a quick Pinterest search at the time, I realised it totally was.
I’ve been meaning to have a go at making my own version ever since but I’ve just never got around to it until yesterday when I used my basic biscuit recipe to have a go at making them. My biscuit recipe is ideal for this because not only is it easy to make it holds it’s shape really well so it can cope with you cutting a little bit out for it to hang on your mug.
How to make ‘Biscuits that hang on your mug’
175g/6oz Plain Flour
100g/4oz Butter or Margarine
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C/300°F Gas Mark 2
- Cream the butter and sugar together and then stir in the flour.
- Knead the dough together until it forms a ball – if the dough looks a bit sticky you can add some more flour.
- Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 5mm thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out your biscuits as you normally would sticking to quite basic shapes. Use a knife and cut out a small slit big enough for it to sit comfortably on the side of your mug, My biscuits are on the large side so I cut in a gap that was about 2.5 cm in and that was the perfect length for mine.
- When you’ve cut out your shapes, pop them all on to a tray lined with baking paper using a fish life to transfer them from the counter to the tray. They don’t spread so you don’t need to space them too far apart which should help you squish more onto the baking tray.
- Bake them in the centre of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until they’re just starting to get some light colour on top.
- Leave them to cool and then either serve them plain or mix up a little bit of royal icing to spread over the top.
How perfect are these cute little biscuits for Valentines, or any time of the year for that matter?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address here and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on Twitter, BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram. You can find out more about me here.
Pin ‘Biscuits that hang on your mug’ for later…