Remember me telling you that Life was good again after last months hospital appointment with Miss Frugal?
Well, after another hospital appointment, the Doctor is now not so certain that it’s nothing serious and has decided that we need to take her for a brain scan (I think it’s called an MRI scan) so that we can rule out the ‘big things’.
After last months visit, I was much more relaxed taking her this time, I thought it was more of a formality as the doctor told us at the end of the last visit that you often never find out what’s behind child dizziness and that she was just going to monitor Miss Frugal ‘to be on the safe side’. We sat in the depressing examination room while the Doctor did the usual prodding and poking but then rather than coming back to her desk to tell me that she was sure everythings OK, she came back and read her notes again in silence. Then she asked Miss Frugal to lay back down on the examination table and she started all over again but took a lot longer this time.
The longer it went on for, the more I could feel myself starting to worry – I knew something was wrong because it was taking much longer than it had on the previous occasions that she’s examined her and she seemed to be doing everything much slower and more carefully. When she’d finished, she came back to her desk and calmly told us that she was concerned and felt that a brain scan was necessary. Considering she had previously told us that due to the dangers associated with brain scans in children, she would only consider one as a last resort, I felt complete panic.
I’m sure it’s just a precaution but I can’t help but worry about what a scan could find and I have a million questions that I wanted to ask the doctor but none of them were really suitable to ask in front of Miss Frugal as I didn’t want to worry her. We had to decide whether she could manage to stay still in the scan or whether they needed to take her in and give her a general anaesthetic, apparently it’s really noisy in the machine and a lot of children get scared in there and can’t stay still but we want to try without the general anaesthetic. I hope that’s the right decision and that it’ll make the experience less traumatic as she’ll be in and out much quicker.
We may have to wait a couple of weeks for the scan so I’m going to try and put it out of my mind (probably unsuccessfully) and try to focus on having as much fun together as possible.
I’ll keep you updated….