You’re probably sick of me telling you by now that my word for 2016 is Happy and that I’m hoping to do more of the things that make me happy and less of the things don’t.
I’m trying not just to think of the big things or the things that I do or don’t do though because it’s to me, it’s also about appreciating the smaller things in life that aren’t really a big deal to anyone other than me. It’s these small things add up to make my life a happy one!
Here’s some of the small things that have made me happy this month….
- Last night was time for Master Frugal’s long awaited Christmas present and it was amazing – he was the mascot for his beloved Boro at the match last night against Cardiff! I’ll write more about this in a few days but I can’t put into words right now how good it was, it really was an experience he’ll never forget. I got a lump in my throat watching him play on the pitch with the captain and I’m so proud that he overcame his usual shyness to actually speak to the players.
- For Valentines Day, Mr Frugal gave me the best present that he could have given me – he packed up his PC and got rid of that and all the other
junkaccessories and games that he’d accumulated over the years. He’s always enjoyed playing on his PC but it took over the kitchen slightly and lately he’s been playing on it less and less so he offered to pack it all away. Now my kitchen looks like a proper kitchen and I don’t have to organise things around the computer area!
- This beautiful sky earlier this month made me feel happy, especially as I was out and about when I saw it and as I was getting my phone out to take a photo of it I got a text from Miss Frugal telling me to look at the sky because from where she was it looked amazing. How lovely that she thought to share that with me. 😉
- I saw this gorgeous money box in our local Asda Home store for £8 and I fell in love with it. It’s not often I love something decorative so much but this is gorgeous and the picture just doesn’t do it justice at all. I bought the sign to go with it for £2 which means I paid £10 for the both of them and it’s money well spent as they makes me smile every time I walk past them.
- You might have already seen this picture that Miss Frugal and I made earlier this month but the effect it’s had on me has been a bit strange. I’ve hung it on the wall in the hall so I see it when I come downstairs every morning first thing. It catches my eye and I feel a sense of peace at seeing those familiar buttons – a couple of which I recognise from items of clothing of mine and my Mams. That probably sounds really weird to anyone but me but it really does make me feel happy to see it.
- I wrote earlier in the month about learning to love my camera again and I’ve really been trying to learn how to use it properly. I’ve taken lots of pictures and it’s had a knock on effect because not only am I really enjoying using my camera again, I’m also rediscovering my love of Instagram. I took this photo on my phone at Mount Grace Priory last weekend where we had a lovely family afternoon.
- I’m still doing well with Slimming World although I’m trying not to keep to close an eye on how much weight I’m losing which I know sounds weird but in the past I’ve focused on how much I’ve lost and in my head I’ve set myself unrealistic targets and been disappointed when I haven’t hit them. My Slimming World triumph this month was when a pair of jeans I bought that didn’t fit me before Christmas now fit – I walked around all day with a smile on my face when I was wearing them.
What’s made you happy lately?
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Angie Makes