1) Remember when I made frugal french dip sandwiches a couple of weeks ago? They were totally amazing and highly recommended but my first frugal thing is to do with the leftover meat than the sandwiches themselves.
One joint of brisket made more than enough for our sandwiches with plenty of leftovers so I popped the meat we didn’t eat into a freezer bag (the IKEA ones are brilliant – cheap, strong and reusable) and popped it in the freezer. Last weekend, we thought we’d get the brisket out and see what it was like heated up for our Sunday Dinner and it was so delicious. I love the fact that one cheap joint of meat did two full meals that tasted amazing – it just shows that even the cheapest joints of meat can taste like they cost a fortune if you cook them in the slow cooker.
2) I know I’ve said this before but I love reading and over the last six months of so I’ve read even more than I normally do. There’s so many places you can get free kindle books but I actually have a Kindle Unlimited subscription which I think is about £7.99 a month but means I can access a huge library of books for free. It’s definitely only worth it if you read as much as I do but reading one book every 3-4 days means that it gets harder to find free books that you like the sound of after a while. I’ve just finished reading Girl on a Train which isn’t my usual type of book but everyone was raving about it so I thought I’d give it a go. It was OK, I suppose but I’m pleased that I didn’t buy it. 😉
3) I think I can totally get away with this being frugal because it’s going to save me money in the future. Basically, Miss Frugal and I have planned our itinerary for New York and we have a LOT to squeeze in. We’re planning to use the subway and walk as much as we can because taxis and Ubers will set us back money that we’d rather be spending on shopping. Looking at what we have planned, it’s going to be amazing but it’s going to involve a fair amount of walking. So this week we’ve downloaded Map my Walk (free app) and we’ve been getting outside as often as we can to build up our stamina!
But it’s not just me and Miss Frugal that are getting out more, we’re doing it more as a family which is great because it’s good for us all to get out walking and we’ve had so much fun. I can think of at least three times in the last week that I’ve laughed that much with everyone that I’ve had tears in my eyes and that’s priceless. We’re only up to a few miles but we’ve not had the best weather yet – we’ll keep at it though.
4) I know I agreed with Mr Frugal that we weren’t going to do Valentines Day presents but he couldn’t help himself so when I got up on Tuesday morning, he’d gone to work but there was a card on his pillow for me (don’t tell him that the dog had drooled on the envelope a bit). I had about ten minutes before I left for work to do something as he’d be home before me and I wanted him to see his card when he came in. I printed out the personalised Valentines poster that I’d made him in a small size and stuck it to the front of some A4 card folded in half. Quick thinking or what?
5) I made some dough in the breadmaker the other day and got so caught up in what I was doing that I totally forgot about it. I made homemade mac and cheese for tea instead of the homemade pizza that I’d been planning to use the dough for. Miss Frugal stepped in to make sure that the dough didn’t go to waste but rolling it out and sprinkling some cinnamon and brown sugar on it. She folded it in half again and rolled it out before cutting it into thin strips. She fried them in a teeny amount of butter and the result was delicious….
As always, we’d love you to join in with us by sharing what frugal and thrifty things you’ve been up to this week – whether it’s an Instagram picture (#5frugalthings), a blog post or even a video. Just add your link to the linky at the bottom of this post.
You don’t have to share five things you’ve done, anything thrifty or frugal that you’ve been doing is perfect.
You’re more than welcome to copy and paste the badge above but it would be even better if you could let your readers know that you’re linking up with us by adding a little line to the bottom of your post like this one:
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also find me on BlogLovin, Yummly and Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.