Welcome to the first ‘Five Frugal Things I’ve done this week’ post of 2016.
I’ll be honest, it hasn’t been the most frugal week we’ve ever had but I like to think that the money we’ve spent is well spent….
1) I’ve joined Slimming World which isn’t the cheapest way to lose weight as I’ll be paying £4.95 a week for the pleasure. I do think it’s a worthwhile investment in myself though and I think going to the group each week will help me to stay on track. I did manage to save some money though as I found a voucher (in the Woman magazine) which meant that I didn’t have to pay the joining fee which is around £10 I think. There are cheaper ways to lose weight without a doubt but I’m doing this for me and it’s worth every penny.
2) I am loving my new soup maker more than I can tell you. Not only is it going to make Slimming World easier as I can whip up a tasty soup with no effort at all but it’s also helping me to make tasty but cheap lunches for us all and using up any leftover veg we have at the end of the week. It’s also been on a few road trips as I’ve loaned it out (just for a few hours ;-)) to people to use and they’ve loved it too.
This is my favourite soup so far – Spicy Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato soup which I’ll be blogging about very soon.
3) I invested in some containers so I could take my lunch to work, safe in the knowledge that it wasn’t going to leak or explode all over my bag (which has happened before)! I treated myself to some new Sistema containers because I love the ones I already have. I have quite a few now and I love them for leftovers as they can go in the freezer and the microwave and you can eat right from them. I bought the soup mugs seeing as I’m making so much soup these days and for what I paid for them I think they’re a great investment that will ultimately save me money because it means I’ll take my lunch to work more than I do now.
Here’s the one’s I bought if you fancy treating yourself (affiliate link):
Here’s yesterday’s lunch – tuna pasta with sweetcorn, tomato and green peppers….
4) I booked two holidays (what? I told you this wasn’t the most frugal week ever) which I know doesn’t seem very money saving but I booked them now because we knew exactly what we wanted for both trips and they both had great discounts on the total cost. It also makes budgeting for them easier as I know how much I need to put away per month to save for them and has the added bonus of giving us something to look forward to.
5) I wanted to give my banisters a good clean this week ready to paint them but I knew that some of the wood stain was going to come off and stain my cloths so instead of using one of my brightly coloured micro fibre cloths, I used a pair of Master Frugal’s old (clean) pants. Both my Mam and my Nana used to do this and I remember my Mam dusting the living room shelves with a pair of my Dad’s Y Fronts.
What frugal or thrifty things have you done this week?
Don’t forget to follow the ‘Five Frugal Things’ Pinterest board as I’ll be pinning all of our frugal things photos on there. You can find it here if you want a quick peak….
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe. You can also follow me on BlogLovin or Networked Blogs and I’d love to see you over on my Facebook page and on Instagram.
Image credit: Shutterstock, Gstockstudio